ABOUT THE WiDS MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP
The WiDS Scholarship fund was established in 2006 with a mandate to encourage women to pursue careers related to Canada's defence and security, to provide development opportunities to women in the security and defence fields and to provide financial assistance to further educational objectives of Canadian women who are pursuing studies related to Canada's defence and security. Since 2006 the scholarship has awarded funding to female students ranging from $1,000-10,000. This year, WiDS is pleased to announce that one or more scholarships valued at up to $10,000 will be awarded.
NEW IN 2018 - THE WIDS & CANADIAN GLOBAL AFFAIRS INSTITUTE (CGAI) FELLOWSHIP:
WiDS is pleased to partner with the Canadian Global Affairs Institute (CGAI) to offer student Fellowships. This opportunity aims to advance the careers of women in defence and security by offering one or more women mentorship, work and research/analysis opportunities with CGAI, access to CGAI publications and resources. This collaboration will select female graduate or post-graduate students using the WiDS Annual Memorial Scholarship Process and will provide a Fellowship delivered by CGAI. The fellowship also provides access to all WiDS professional development events. While the Fellowship will be oriented towards a Graduate Student, exceptional undergraduates will be considered eligible.
The benefits of the Fellowship include:
• Publication opportunities with CGAI (the exact nature and amount subject to Fellow’s interest) and promotion of that work;
• Mentoring and coaching with CGAI;
• Professional development opportunities with the wider CGAI network subject to availability and the Fellow’s career interest;
• Complimentary attendance at CGAI events;
• Complimentary attendance at WiDS events; and
• One complimentary access pass to the tradeshow floor at CANSEC.
You may apply to the CGAI Fellowship using the same WiDS Memorial Scholarship application form; just indicate whether or not you are interested in being considered for the CGAI opportunity as well.
Applicants must meet the following mandatory criteria. No exceptions will be considered. Applicants must:
1. be enrolled at an accredited university or college, either full-time or part- time (in the case of university students both undergraduate and graduate students are eligible, however undergraduates must have completed at least 2 years of study);
2. demonstrate interest in pursuing a career related to security or defence;
3. have a minimum grade point average of 70%;
4. provide evidence of community, education or professional leadership;
5. be a woman; and
6. be a citizen of Canada.
The WiDS scholarships are tenable only at recognized institutions in Canada. For applicants who have completed a previous degree abroad, proof of acceptance or registration at a Canadian institution is required.
HOW TO APPLY
Awards will be based on academic achievement, participation and interest in defence and security activities, field of study, work experience, statements of objectives, and recommendations. WiDS reserves the right to revise, suspend, or discontinue this program without notice.
Please note that only successful applicants will be notified. Scholarship recipients will be invited to attend a formal Scholarship Awards Ceremony in Ottawa, Ontario.