The 2022 application is now live: APPLY TODAY
ABOUT THE ANNUAL WiDS SCHOLARSHIP
The WiDS Annual Scholarship fund was established in 2006 with a mandate to encourage women to further their educational objectives and pursue careers and related to Canada's defence and security. Since 2006, over $100,000 has been awarded in amounts ranging from $1,000-$10,000. This year, WiDS is pleased to announce that one scholarship, valued at $10,000 will be awarded.
WiDS is also pleased to partner with the Canadian Global Affairs Institute (CGAI) to offer the WiDS & CGAI Fellowship. This opportunity aims to advance the careers of women in defence and security by offering one or more women mentorship, work and research/analysis opportunities with CGAI, access to CGAI publications and resources.
This collaboration will select female graduate or post-graduate students using the WiDS Annual Scholarship Process and will provide a Fellowship delivered by CGAI. The fellowship also provides access to all WiDS professional development events. While the Fellowship will be oriented towards a Graduate Student, exceptional undergraduates will be considered eligible.
Through this collaboration, one or more female graduate or post-graduate students are selected through the WiDS Annual Memorial Scholarship Process and granted a Fellowship position with CGAI which provides publication, professional development, and mentoring and coaching opportunities among other benefits.
The benefits of the Fellowship include:
- Publication opportunities with CGAI (the exact nature and amount subject to Fellow’s interest) and promotion of that work;
- Mentoring and coaching with CGAI;
- Professional development opportunities with the wider CGAI network subject to availability and the Fellow’s career interest;
- Complimentary attendance at CGAI events;
- Complimentary attendance at WiDS events; and
- One complimentary access pass to the tradeshow floor at CANSEC.
- You may apply to the CGAI Fellowship using the same WiDS Memorial Scholarship application form. Simply indicate whether or not you are interested in being considered for the CGAI opportunity as well.
WiDS scholarships are tenable only at recognized institutions in Canada. For applicants who have completed a previous degree abroad, proof of acceptance or registration at a Canadian institution is required.
Applicants must meet the following mandatory criteria. No exceptions will be considered.
- Be enrolled at an accredited Canadian university or college, either full-time or part-time in the school year 2022-2023 (in the case of university students both undergraduate and graduate students are eligible, however undergraduates must have completed at least 2 years of study);
- Demonstrate interest in pursuing a career related to Canada's defence or security;
- Have a minimum grade point average of 70%;
- Provide evidence of community, education or professional leadership;
- Self-identify as a woman; and
- Be a citizen of Canada.
Submit your digital application through our new scholarship platform. Click here to apply: https://app.smarterselect.com/programs/75101-Wi-Ds
THE SELECTION PROCESS
Awards will be based on academic achievement, participation and interest in defence and security activities, field of study, work experience, statements of objectives, and recommendations. WiDS reserves the right to revise, suspend, or discontinue this program without notice.
Please note that only successful applicants will be notified. Scholarship recipients will be invited to attend the 2022 WiDS Annual Scholarship & Awards Breakfast.